- Featured Homes
- Short Sales
- Home Inspection
- Madison MS Real Estate Market Stats
- Grayhawk Madison MS
- About Stephanie
- Community Information
- Featured Home
- Free Reports
- Just Sold
- Madison County Neighborhoods
- Rankin County Neighborhoods
- New Listings
- Subdivision Covenants
- Relocation Resources
- Metro Jackson Cities
- Open Houses
- Resource Center
Categories: Home Inspection posted on July 15th, 2014
Whether you are thinking about selling your house in the next few months or whether you plan to stay put for the foreseeable future, it is important to stay on top of home maintenance issues so a minor problem doesn’t lead to a more expensive issue or damage down the road. A recent article in REALTOR magazine highlighted the following as the 5 most common issues that arise during home inspections and what you can do to ensure these issues are not a problem.
1. Improper Electrical Wiring – Open wires, faulty wiring, inadequate overload protection – all of these are very common occurrences that could be cited on a home inspection report.
Preparation Tip: Call a qualified and licensed electrician to evaluate the wiring prior to the inspection so that you may alleviate costly repairs cited in the report.
2. Roof Deterioration – Old or damaged shingles can lead to leaks but easy and inexpensive repairs to damaged tiles or shingles can stave off more costly and extensive damage; i.e., water stains, damaged sheetrock or plaster, etc.
Preparation Tip: Use binoculars to check for any damaged, loose or missing shingles. Cut overhanging tree branches back from the roof.
3. Improper surface grading or drainage -Water can enter a home and cause major damage if proper drainage isn’t in place. Basements and crawl spaces are most vulnerable.
Preparation Tip:When it rains, grab an umbrella and observe how your home sheds water. Does it disappear into a window? You might need to install, realign or repair a damaged gutter and downspout system to ensure proper drainage.
4. Plumbing problems-Dripping faucets, corroding or mismatched piping, faulty fixtures, rocking toilets and improperly installed hot water heaters are all sources of common plumbing problems.
Preparation Tip:Make sure toilets are securely bolted. Check all faucets, valves and hose bibs for potential leaks and fix them right away so they do not lead to more damage such as mold, mildew or structural damage.
5. Poor overall upkeep-Cracked, peeling or dirty painted surfaces, inside and out can signal overall neglect. Decayed caulking around windows and doors may be more than an eyesore -it may be compromising the efficiency of your heating and air systems leading to higher utility costs.
Preparation Tip: Walk around the interior and exterior of your house at least once a year with a scrutinizing eye. Consider hiring a home inspector for a maintenance inspection to identify any conditions that may lead to more serious defects later.
Contact Stephanie Hall for more information on this lovely home.
Keller Williams Realty
This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 15th, 2014 at 12:19 pm and is filed under Home Inspection. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Leave a Reply
- 145 Pembroke Circle Madison MS- MLS#302945
- 100 Darrowsby Pl, Madison, MS 39110 MLS #302790
- 136 CARPENTER DRIVE BYRAM, MS 39272
- 131 Camden Shores, Madison, MS 39110 – MLS #: 302876
- 233 Hoy Farms Dr, Madison, MS
- 304 Forest Lake Dr. Madison MS MLS# 304806
- 174 IRONWOOD PLANTATION BLVD. MADISON MS MLS#302959
- 194 SUNDOWN RD MADISON, MS – MLS#299823
- 102 Woodmont Way Ridgeland, MS – Bridgewater Subdivision
- 412 SIERRA WAY MADISON, MS 39110
- 409 Araglen Dr. Canton, MS 39046
- 164 Buckhead DrMadison, MS 39110
- 136 LAKEWAY DR MADISON, MS 39110
- 112 Ironwood Plantation Blvd. Madison, MS 39110
- What is my home worth? Call The Remore Team for a Free Market Evaluation
Copyright 2009 - 2010 Madison MS Real Estate & Brandon Mississippi Real Estate Listings, Reservoir, Jackson Homes