- Featured Homes
- Short Sales
- Home Inspection
- Madison MS Real Estate Market Stats
- Grayhawk Madison MS
- About Stephanie
- Community Information
- Featured Home
- Free Reports
- Just Sold
- Madison County Neighborhoods
- Rankin County Neighborhoods
- New Listings
- Subdivision Covenants
- Relocation Resources
- Metro Jackson Cities
- Open Houses
- Resource Center
The city was founded based on the need for a centrally located capital for the state of Mississippi. In 1821, the Mississippi General Assembly, meeting in the then-capital of Natchez, had sent Thomas Hinds (for whom Hinds County is named), James Patton, and William Lattimore to look for a site. After surveying areas north and east of Jackson, they proceeded southwest along the Pearl River until they reached LeFleur’s Bluff in Hinds County. Their report to the General Assembly stated that this location had beautiful and healthful surroundings, good water, abundant timber, navigable waters, and proximity to the trading route Natchez Trace. And so, a legislative Act passed by the Assembly on November 28, 1821, authorized the location to become the permanent seat of the government of the state of Mississippi.
Jackson is named after the seventh President of the United States, Andrew Jackson, in recognition for his victory in the Battle of New Orleans.
During the late 18th century and early 19th century, the area was traversed by the Natchez Trace, on which a trading post stood before a treaty with the Choctaw, the Treaty of Doak’s Stand in 1820, formally opened the area for non-native American settlers.
Jackson was originally planned, in April 1822, by Peter Van Dorn in a “checkerboard” pattern advocated by Thomas Jefferson, in which city blocks alternated with parks and other open spaces, giving the appearance of a checkerboard. This plan has not lasted to the present day.
- Staging your home!
- 5 Tips For The Best Home Showings – Madison MS Homes
- Cheapest Ways To Increase Your Home’s Value
- Noah’s Mill – Madison County MS Subdivsion
- The Remore Team – We work hard for you!
- Myths about home staging
- Why won’t my home sell?
- Selling Your Home? Call Stephanie Remore Today
- Why do you need a Realtor?
- 133 NOTTINGHILL PL CANTON, MS 39046
- 136 CARPENTER DR JACKSON MS 39212
- For Sale – 702 Napoleon Court Ridgeland, MS
- 704 WOODGATE DR MADISON MS 39110
- 1523 SHERMAN AVE JACKSON MS 39211
- MEET THE REMORE TEAM – We’ll work hard for you!
Copyright 2009 - 2010 Madison MS Real Estate & Brandon Mississippi Real Estate Listings, Reservoir, Jackson Homes